Monday, February 20, 2012

Best of the 2000s

Best of the 2000s
I'm probably the latest person in the world to make a "Best of the Decade" list. But I
have a reason: when the majority of the people were making their 2000 list, I hadn't seen enough movies to make a 2000 list. Now that I have seen enough movies, I don't want to have to wait 8 years to make another decade list, so I decided to make a "Best of the 2000s" list. I would also like to make myself clear that by "decade" I mean 2001-2010, not 2000-2009 (just because of one film that I couldn't bear to wait eight years to put on a "best of" list.

7. Burn After Reading
This is hilarious! Fantastic performances from Brad Pitt and Frances McDormand. J.K. Simmons is hilarious, too. It's a must-see if ou want to see John Malchovich's face get as red as an apple. The funniest movie of the decade.


6. Summer Hours
There wasn't one performance in this movie that was bad. Everyone was fantastic. I'm 
surprised that this didn't get nominated for Best Foreign Film. This is one of the best movies of the year. It made me realize that other countries make much better movies than America.


5. The Departed
There are many twists, turns, and surprises in The Departed, and all the way through it is great fun. The acting is fantastic, especially from Jack Nicholson, but both Leonardo DiCaprio and Matt Damon are great too. It is a very confusing film, but it is worth it because of how incredibly smart it is.


4.  Carlos
I'm not actually finished with this 5 hour and 30 minute film. I only saw the first two parts so far, but So far, it is one of the most complicated movies I've ever seen. Edgar Ramirez is fantastic in it, and so are some of the supporting actors. Make sure that if you see it, you watch the 5 1/2 hour one, not the cut 2 1/2 hour one. On Netflix, the 5 1/2 hour version is listed as a miniseries called Carlos: Miniseries.


3. Inglourious Basterds
Pretty much everybody was a great actor in Inglourious, but the best were Christoph Waltz and Michael Fassbender, who plays a British spy. Every scene will have your hands sweating and your heart pounding, and you'll soon realize that you're at the very edge of your seat. At some moments it is very comedic, and pretty much throughout the whole thing really unique. The final theater scene is one of the most suspenseful scenes in movie history.


2.  No Country for Old Men
One of the greatest movies ever. This is the Coen Brothers most violent film, but it's one of their best. The acting in this is fantastic, and so is each scene in it. It's one of the most suspenseful movies I've ever seen in my entire life. Javier Bardem is the creepiest sociopath you'll ever see.




1. There Will Be Blood
Daniel Day Lewis is one of the world's greatest actors, but, in my opinion, the real star here is Paul Dano, who really shines through in this. It was very interesting, and the more plot that came, the more fun it was. It is extremely fun and it just might be the greatest film of the 00s, but No Country for Old Men might just barely be better. The ending is brilliant, and the more you watch, the more you realize that Daniel Plainview might just be the most terrible human being ever, even if he is fictional. 

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me, but it has come to my attention that you are running a excellent high class movie blog. I admire this very much, being from Paris, I have of course the Nouvelle Vague, I see great films everyday. And to see such great critiques is rare in this field. I would like to meet such a smart and interesting writer in person, which cafe do you prefer?

    Au revoir!

    ReplyDelete